28.4.16

Book Review : Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi


Shatter Me
by Taherah Mafi
( Goodreads | Bookurve | Book Depository )


Genre : Young Adult, Dystopian, Adventure, Romance, Sci-Fi

Pages : 338
Series : Shatter Me #1
Goodreads rating : 4.03
My rating :  
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
Shatter me is one of those famous dystopian trilogy that seems to urge every YA readers to read. Especially for the hunger games, maze runner and divergent.. etc..fans. I tell you I am not one in the fraternity. Well, obviously I have not read those books yet. How shame is that? and I prefer reading than watching. Maybe that is one of all other reasons.

I heard a lot of things about this. Some people may find it amazing but some will undoubtly rate it with the worst. I have no idea which pattern I am in because there's some trusted readers whom have the same taste as me and rate it with the least amount of interest and vice-versa. So, I desperately need to read it. I came to this book by knowing completely nothing ( other than the female character having a lethal touch ) that's all because I tried to avoid any spoilers that can affected my excitement.

That is a hell lot of introduction. I love Taherah virtuso writing. It had succefully grip me from the start. I love how Juliette expressing her thoughts and feelings in this book and all of the cross words she had been trying to deny. I felt like I am living in her mind, absorbing all of her bubbling talks and stories. Although some of her proses did not make any sense.

Then, came Adam. Because of the godamn goodreads, I knew that he is not the 'one'. I am sorry this is a spoiler. So, I don't let myself growing affection towards his character although I am starting to like him from the start. I am trying to save my heart for the 'deserve one' and it was surprisingly works! I have no fucking idea that he will be play as a debonair villain! I was instantly fell in love with him from our first meeting. It was more like love from the first/second words. Well, a good, romantic, i'll-always-be-there-when-you-need-me type of boyfriend is kinda boring. Don't you think so? It makes the girl looks helpless and feeling like she's been clinging burden within his legs.

I saw the  future that James will be an awesome character! He was so open-minded and not so keen in judging people's characters. As well as Kenji although he can be such discombobulated sometimes.
As I am reaching towards the end of the book I'd start to doubt who is the one. I don't know anymore and I don't know why. I have this pile of hope as high as the klcc tower for Warner. Because I am definitely team Warner and I hate love-triangle.
Overall

I love this book as the starter but there's nothing much going on and that had been pulling away one of the star. I am eager though to continue the trilogy. If you love hunger games, divergent and maze runner then this book is a perfect match for you. 
Quotes 

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

“Moving forward is the only way to survive.” 




P/S : This grid picture is just for fun to sum up the whole story from the book in a graphic way.





View all my reviews