11.5.16

Book Review : The Rose and The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh

The Rose and The Dagger
by Renee Ahdieh

Genre : Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Retelling
Series : The Wrath and The Dawn #2
Pages : 420
Goodreads rating : 4.41
My rating :
                                                  
                                          
I am surrounded on all sides by a desert. A guest, in a prison of sand and sun. My family is here. And I do not know whom I can trust.
In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad has been torn from the love of her husband Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once believed him a monster, but his secrets revealed a man tormented by guilt and a powerful curse—one that might keep them apart forever. Reunited with her family, who have taken refuge with enemies of Khalid, and Tariq, her childhood sweetheart, she should be happy. But Tariq now commands forces set on destroying Khalid's empire. Shahrzad is almost a prisoner caught between loyalties to people she loves. But she refuses to be a pawn and devises a plan.

While her father, Jahandar, continues to play with magical forces he doesn't yet understand, Shahrzad tries to uncover powers that may lie dormant within her. With the help of a tattered old carpet and a tempestuous but sage young man, Shahrzad will attempt to break the curse and reunite with her one true love.
Honestly, truthfully and genuinely, I am not so anticipated when there is another sequel of The Wrath and The Dawn because I did not enjoy it as much as others. Don't get me wrong, it was good but I just didn't get into it. But The Wrath and The Dawn left the readers with such a cliffhanger ending ever. And I can't stand a cliffhanger ending. So, when I was having a reading funk, this book magically pop out in goodreads, and I thought why not?

I am so ashamed to admit that I have already forgot some of the characters. But, I catch up with scenes and a blurry flashback flowing back in my mind. Although it was kind of hard for me to really stamp who this character was. Whatever, because my purposes are just for the facts of knowing the future of Shazi and Khalid and how they possibly break the curse. 

This story written with such  great details and explanation. But, there's not much that really push me to fall in love with the charcaters though.I tried but it never really works. There's this tragedy happened near the ending that moved me with tears and I was sincerely surprise with myself despite the fact that I didn't sink in the characters. I guess I am an intensely empathy reader.

The storyline is just mediocre. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me. My point is, if I want to love the book, I have to love the characters first. Sometimes, even though a random book has a ludicrous plot ever, but displaying great characters, I will find myself loving the book. This book is the total opposite to me. It has a great fantasy and retelling ( I have never read 1001 nights though ), but the characters are lacking somewhere that have been a major turn off for me.

Am I cruel if I say that the ending is like mehh..? It  is just predictable and not surprising at all especially that 'father' part. I don't like it! I don't like Tariq, Jalal, Desmina and Irsa. Rahim is an exception because whoever had already read this probably know why. Well, Shazi, Khalid and Artan are okay enough for me. 
Overall

I glad this series is a duology because I don't want to bear another sequel just for the sake of craving the closure. I don't want to make you down because I am sure if you love fantasy historical fiction , you probably love this. This is just my thought and don't make it as a barrier from reaching this book. 
Quotes

“It was because they were two parts of a whole. He did not belong to her. And she did not belong to him. It was never about belonging to someone. It was about belonging together.” 

“if you ask me, the best way to go about flying is to cut the strings tying you down ”