29.5.16

Book Review : Ruby Red by Kirsten Gier

Ruby Red
by Kirsten Gier

Genre : Historical Fiction, Adventure, Young Adult,  Mystery, Time       Travel
Series : Precious Stone Trilogy #1
Goodreads Rating : 4.12
My Rating
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
 
Time travel. I know a lot of readers probably in this kinda genre especially the YA. The truth is, I haven't read any time travel genre and I truly don't know what to expect from it. I though it will be cool to give it a shot.

Ruby Red is a german novel which is being translated into English. You must have already heard about this book, it is pretty famous. Well, I realized its presence after I watched Sasha's video on youtube. And it has a movie adaptation, in deutch they call as Rubin Rot. 

It all started with Gwyneth's family running a time travel gene in their blood. The Shepherd mistakenly assumed that Gwyneth's cousin, Charlotte will be the one who likely has the power to put it in use. So, Gwyneth knowing absolutely nothing about it, had to handle and catched up with everything she had been left behind with her partner, Gideon. They had been appeal with a quest , well they did not run the gene for nothing wasn't it?

I like Gwyneth's character just okay, but I don't find anything special in her. There's character that somehow funny and hilarious, such as James the school ghost? Haha. No Kidding. How about our hero Gideon? No. He was a no no to me. I don't like him. At all. Really. Am I the only one who ship Gwyneth with James? It is ridiculous I know but I still have the time in fantasizing about it.

Let's move on with the story. How about the plot? May I say to you people it was mediocre. It was just a plot. Time travel is time travel. I think I like the movie better than the book itself  I guess because in the movie I like Gideon! He was mm charming although I hate those haircut, oh please make it short, And the ending of the book with the movie was slightly different. The romance had already developed like they did what the audience might wanted to see and expected.

Hey I am so sorry about this review because I am distracted. The fact is I am writing this while watching Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation on HBO. So, a review which presumed to be done within minutes have been drag to almost an hour. Oh, Ethan Hunt was running out of oxygen!

Overall

Some people may find Ruby Red is a cool Young Adult book but aparently I am being exceuted from the flock. But I may wanted to continue on the trilogy to find out what is going to happen next.

See Ya,
Syira.