31.5.16

Book Review : The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

Genre : YA, Contemporary, Fiction, LGBT, Romance
Series : Standalone
Pages : 213
Goodreads Rating : 4.20
My Rating


Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

“I would die for you. But I won't live for you.”




Somehow, I just wish that I can trade my shoes with Charlie. I would like to discover what would it like, being a geek reading books and writing letters to no one or I guess he wrote them to Michael.
Charlie doesn't has any friends, but he manage to find Sam and Brad the step-siblings to blend in, although they are older than Charlie.

This book tells us in the form of Charile's diary or letter describing his life as a freshman year in high school.
Charlie didn't write his first letter very well, I may say. I mean I am not good at writing either, but as life goes on, he kept writing untill he manage to reach the point to the extent where his writing is better than any other diaries I have read before. I am envy with his talent, as I hope I will get better as Charlie has reached.

“He's a wallflower. You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.” 

His words are so genuine, yet it truly felt and stay in my heart. I love how Charlie's character development is going on as he begin to explore the world with Sam and Brad. He is so honest with everything he writes within his feelings towards his friends and families and driving and school and whatsoever. I find myself hard to believe that Charlie the geek will be smoking! Really?
Oh! And the adult part, seriously Charlie you are so naive and innocent. I can't stop laughing when you keep mentioning that parts! They are so intimate and personal. I mean, Charlie really? How come you being so blunt about that?

Reading this book just make me wish to have everything that Charlie has, his family, his friends and even his brain. I wish I get to dwell in his brain. Is it weird? His story makes me think about lots of things. Sometimes, when I just sitting around in a bus, I would reverse myself about what Charlie had been thinking, and started wondering about other people just like Charlie had. I realized this book have bring a lot of changes in the way I accept circumstances and how I think about mostly everything.

“And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. and that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing 'unity.” 

I tell you that Charlie had to deal with a bunch of teenage shits. He had to consult a psychiatrist, he had a gay friend ( Brad ), his suicide friend, sexual assault and others that may be a peer pressure to average teen age. But anyway just keep it that way. I don't want to explain any further.

Honestly, I don't know how to write a review about this book. I wish I can write as genuine as Charlie. You can count how many times I have mentioned that before. There are a lot of thinks you can learn from his story and there's a bunch of quotes that may be relatable in your life.

“It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book.” 

Overall

I find myself completely lost in this book, smiling, grinning, laughing and all of those fool things happened. Sometimes, I just wondering am I a wallflower?